Tuesday, June 22, 2010

England fan barred from World Cup matches

A British soccer fan who burst into the England team's World Cup changing room in Cape Town on Friday night, was on Sunday banned from attending any further matches when he appeared briefly in the Cape Town World Cup court. ...
Full story here, courtesy of Mail & Guardian.


There is more here than meets the eye though I am noticing. Take a look at the snippet above "... in the Cape Town World Cup Court." What the heck is a World Cup Court?


Well folks, there is one, or should I say, a system of them set up in South Africa to handle "World Cup offences". No, no, this is not for the players, although some of the acting on the pitch I would opine is criminal lately. This is to help curb the crime in the country during the World Cup.


I am researching this now, but has anyone heard of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa Special Measures Act 2006? Me either, but here is a link to the bill (now law from what I can tell) to it for those interested. I'll report back when I have more info dug up on this ... but on the surface, just a question:

Why is FIFA setting up a criminal trial court system in another country?

No comments:

Post a Comment