RIO DE JANEIRO, July 17 (Xinhua) -- FIFA President Sepp Blatter said Wednesday it may have been a mistake to choose Brazil to host next year's World Cup.
His comments follow nationwide unrest during last month's Confederations Cup in which hundreds of thousands of Brazilians expressed anger that public money was being spent on stadiums instead of vital services like health, transport and education.
Blatter said he planned to raise his concerns with Brazil president Dilma Rousseff in September. ...
See the whole story here, courtesy of Xinhuanet.
Kicking Back Comments: What is sadly hilarious are Sepp's comments. He is already laying blame at the feet of Brazil. Now I for one believe that there will be significant protests during the World Cup, and based on his comments, Sepp is going to lay it right at the feet of the Brazilian government.
He forgets to give the citizens some credit, as while yes, the Brazilian government bears some responsibility for inviting FIFA (and the IOC) into their homes, these organizations have some responsibility back to the citizens (not just their government) for allowing the privilege.
FIFA courts are going to have their hands full in 2014, and certainly well beyond any "ambush marketing."