Sunday, March 27, 2011

Should have kept his day job ...

Photo courtesy of Fox Sports
Reports from the training camp that Ochocinco is attending are pretty clear. This quote from the AP says a lot.
Locked out of his day job, Ochocinco opened a four-day tryout with Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday and by the end of his first day with the Major League Soccer team the star receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals was panting for breath.
He said himself he did not expect to be "Superman" ... but many, I think, expected more than what he has shown.

I for one give him credit for a couple of things. First, he clearly underestimated the fitness level required and kudos to him for going through the paces with an MLS team. He said himself he ate some "humble pie." I personally have taken that ride and I am with him ... it hurts.

Second, childhood fantasy or media stunt, he is making the effort, not just showing up and taking pictures. In a particularly vivid moment when asked if he would play for free, he quickly said,  "Yes. Can I do that?"

So at the end of the day while I believe there is no place in KC's lineup for Ochocinco, there seems to be a genuine part of him that loves THE game ... and would play, if he could, for free.

I doubt however that Peter Vermes is going to give him that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment