Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Making Connections

I sell heavy duty carpet for a living. The products are nothing special, and the pay isn't either. My clients are usually the maintenance guys in schools and hotels.

There is this guy I know. He runs one of the most famous hospitals in the country. Not just a department head, I mean the big cheese. He makes a ton of money, more than I will see in my lifetime. I may not even talk to him for a year or more, but I know I can pick up the phone and he will always take my call.

I know another guy. He works for the DEA and gets sent to foreign countries to bring down drug warlords. Pretty impressive stuff. The fruit of his work makes the news all over the world. No matter where he is in the world, he will answer my emails within a few hours

Then there is the guy that owns a chain of restaurants. If I mentioned the name of the place, you would know it for sure. In fact I can guarantee that you have eaten in them. Whenever he is around, we watch a game together.

I once drove two hours out of my way to watch a sheepdog competition. I have no knowledge about sheepdogs and had no clue about what was going on, but I knew somebody who had a few dogs in the competition. He stays in my guest room whenever he comes to town.

Last but not least, I know a guy who lived for two years in a dumpster. He has since moved to better digs.

None of these people buy my carpet. I did not meet them through my job. Engineers, Doctors, Cooks, Police, Computer Programmers, Lawyers, Accountants, Salespeople, Army Recruiters, Executives, Pilots, Teachers, and Graphic Designers. And Shepherds. The list goes on and on. I know people in all these walks of life because of soccer. I know people in every state, and from six continents.

And so do you. Soccer brings people of different cultures together more so than any other sport, and perhaps more than any other endeavor. It is truly the world’s game. Where else would a simple peddler such as myself get to meet people like this?

Say it together with me: Soccer is Life

(With special thanks to Ed Rae, who knows more people than anyone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment