Friday, January 27, 2012

How to get into college 101

For those of you who follow @Kicking_Back, you may have caught this retweet last week.

Some background:

When applying for college it is often required that the applicant write an essay on a particular topic, or sometimes the topic of their choice. This is intended to be used both as a writing exemplar for administrators to determine the capacity of the prospective student, as well as to genuinely learn something about the individual. After all, diversity is key for many college admissions and if it looks like you have done or will do something exemplary, a college is more likely to admit you, in my estimation.

Enter the below piece from a Maryland referee entering college. She describes most aptly what I am sure many of us have felt in part going through the "Youth Soccer Gauntlet" as I like to call it.

Take a read below, it is well worth it.

Thoughts of a Youth Referee

I am addicted. Sometimes I wish I could quit, but every time I lace up, my blood starts rushing, my palms start sweating, and I can’t think of doing anything else.

That’s what soccer does to me. That’s what soccer does for me. Even when it’s hard and ugly, when I’m the focus of hate and on the receiving end of angry insults from people who are older and who should know better, as a referee, I can not shrink. ...

See the complete story here, at Marylandreferees.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment