Friday, February 24, 2012

A look behind the curtain

My nine to five: Peter Walton

The football referee on a restless night's sleep in a hotel, breaking the ice with managers and pre-match butterflies

I only find out what games I'll be refereeing a few days in advance. If it's a Saturday match, I'll travel from Northamptonshire, where I live, on Friday afternoon, then book into a hotel. I'll be in bed by 10pm. I don't sleep well in hotels, so I'll just try to relax and fluff up another hard pillow.

On match day I'll try to lie in and not be up till 9am. I'll flick through the papers to see if there's any news about the game then have a very light breakfast, things you can easily digest like baked beans, tomatoes or boiled egg. ...

See the whole story here, from the Guardian.

Kicking Back Comments: Everyone is different here. For me, check out the pilot episode of TMT located here, discussing my match preparation. A tea before a match though ... very civilized ... I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment