Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Playing the "black card"

I just don't know where to start with this one.

I could use it as a warning to referees everywhere that there is no such thing as a "friendly match."
What referee gets prepared for a mass confrontation event during a badminton match?

Seriously, how do you deal with something so extraordinary that it has only happened (per the announcers) once or twice in history!

While the referee apparently got the call right ... I wonder how much training is given for such an event.

I was waiting for Hulk Hogan to charge in and rip his shirt off.



I could go down the path of a horribly named penalty ... I mean a "black card"? Why not just say disqualification? Then again, as I listen to how a caution is described in MLS stadia across the US it is generally a "yellow card, caution, warning."

I get the origin ... but ... I dunno ... any sport that uses a shuttlecock is just weird to me. Then again I ride around in a colorful spandex suit that practically shows what religion I am.

I had to chuckle when the female announcer let an explicative go at :17. But the more I thought about it the more I knew they would not be fined as no one was watching. Then again more than a couple MLB teams are suffering this right now.

I think my overall point while trying to be somewhat tongue in cheek, is sport is sport, and it does not matter if it kids playing youth anything, or adults playing professional something, a referee has to always be ready for anything.

Even a hockey game breaking out in the NHL.

No comments:

Post a Comment