Friday, October 25, 2013

My definition of insanity is ...

Sepp Blatter: Fifa president hints at increased term

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has given his strongest hint yet that he plans to stay on in the role past 2015 and finish "his mission".

The 77-year-old Swiss, head of the world governing body since 1998, also wants to increase the term for a president from four years to eight. ...

See the whole story here, courtesy of the BBC.

Kicking Back Comments: I am a fan of term limits personally. Even in cases where the leadership is exceptional, and remains so, there is a need to build a "bench" to allow others to be ready to take the reigns when the term naturally expires.

In the case of a leader who is not performing, term limits clearly help to minimize issues that are created by a failure of leadership ... which I believe is the case here.

While good in principle, age limits on FIFA referees serve the same purpose where particular physical prowess is required to manage matches at the international level. The issue becomes in my opinion, that I think the window is a bit too small currently. Optimally a term window allows the leader to learn, grow, and become optimally effective in the role. In the case of the FIFA referee, with mandatory retirement at 45, I believe one skill set just coming to play, that of life experience to manage the international player.

I would opine this skill set is just coming around at age 42 - 48, and at a time when physical fitness does not diminish significantly ... and I mean statistically significantly based on published reports ... to effect the performance. So while the head of FIFA has overstayed his welcome, I think their refereeing core is being cut short just a bit too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment