Friday, December 20, 2013

Remember ... it's not a forcefield in a can

Referees to use vanishing spray for free kicks at World Cup

MARRAKECH, Morocco (AP) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter says the vanishing spray being used to designate distances for free kicks will be used at next year's World Cup in Brazil.

The spray, which was developed in Argentina and Brazil, is currently being used at the Club World Cup in Morocco.

Blatter says ''we started using it in all (our) competitions this year and at the World Cup we will definitely keep on the same path.'' ...

See the whole story here, courtesy of SI.com.

Kicking Back Comments: Referees will still only get 7 - 8 yards per free in my opinion even with the vanishing spray. It will however help with encroachment when the player is running yup to the ball.

I think I am too old school ... I would look to get 11 yards on a free and that way when the players encroached the yard they always do, we were at 10.

I am waiting for a player to grab the can of spray from a referee in dissent and write something inappropriate on the pitch. I've seen it with a caution ... when not the spray.


No comments:

Post a Comment