Saturday, June 18, 2011

More than a badge

It can be hard to remember sometimes that the people behind those referee badges have friends, family, jobs, interests, and real life stuff outside of soccer. Believe it or not, there is a real person under these uniforms. JAFO put this quite elegantly in his post "Making Connections."

In my recent past as I try to find some form again after law school (other than spherical), I have had the opportunity to really reflect on what is important, and just how lucky I am for my family and I to have good health.

As part of my regime now I am cycling a bunch, getting ready to do some racing (gulp), but most importantly riding in a series of charity rides to help those who are inflicted by some really horrible diseases. Just as much as I am astounded by how many people are touched by THE game. I am even more astounded in how many are touched by such horrible ailments that cut life short or curtail it significantly.

All too often I cavalierly speak about this play, or that physical act, or fitness of a player or referee, many times forgetting about those who just never get the chance, or those who could at a point in their life, and now can't.

For my part in reflecting on those who may not have this chance, I am raising funds and riding in Ride the Rhode bike tour for MS in about a week. On this tour about 900 cyclists will ride 150 miles to raise funds for MS, a truly horrible and debilitating disease that makes life just that much more challenging.

If you have the time, please come on out and ride, or volunteer your time. It is an experience that you will never forget to help others, who may not be able to help themselves.

If you can't come out, please consider sponsoring me for this ride here. All donations regardless of amount are warmly accepted, are paid directly to the National MS Society, and are tax deductible as allowed by law as a recognized 501(c)(3) charity.

For a full BBB report on the National MS Society, please go here.

Yes, soccer is life, and sometimes life, like soccer, can bounce in a way you never expect. Please help me to make a difference for someone who may have caught and unlucky bounce.

No comments:

Post a Comment